Monday, July 25, 2011

Jordan Bites and The Hole of Empty Feelings

After the much-welcomed response to my narrative The Giant Wave, I have decided to dive into a world of fiction and launch a series of children stories about a kid explorer named Jordan Bites.  The energetic, bright Jordan Bites enjoys going on adventures where he overcomes obstacles, breaks through barriers, and comes out a hero... just in time to make it home for dinner!  Each Jordan Bites story will be loosely inspired by events that have happened to me in real life and become metaphors for the trials and tribulations of my life. 

I now present to you the story of Jordan Bites and the Hole of Empty Feelings.

Jordan Bites walking through the meadow
Colored pencil on paper
 July 24, 2011

---


Jordan Bites was venturing through a vast, bright-green meadow. 

This land was foreign to the young fella; he's never wandered so far from home.  He was mildly afraid of the rare mini-monsters that roamed the far reaches of the wilderness, but he was a bravely-curious kid and ready for new experiences. 

It was the perfect summer's day.  The luscious grass swayed side to side with the calm, relaxing breeze.  Yellow butterflies luminescently danced in the air as the sunlight majestically beamed down from the light-blue sky above.  Jordan closed his eyes for a moment to feel the sunlight's warmth on his face. 

He was innocently unaware of what was about to happen.

Without warning, Jordan's foot struck an ancient, well-preserved log that had occupied this space for centuries and he began to violently topple over.  Instinctively, Jordan braced himself for the impact.  For a split second he felt the green, luscious grass as it gently and lightly brushed against his skin.  Jordan wholeheartedly expected to slam into the hard ground beneath the grass but instead he felt...

Empty air?

A giant hole had been hidden by the overgrown grass and Jordan was quickly slipping into it.  He tried grabbing at the grass - it was his last hope - but the soft grass quickly uprooted and he hopelessly fell into the hole.

"AHHHHH!" yelled Jordan. 

Gravity seized control of the young man's body and he was falling into the unknown, going deeper and deeper until...

Plop! 

Jordan had landed on some kind of... bed?  Jordan felt it with his fingers.  He instantly knew what it was as it gently tangled around his fingers; it was dead grass.  They still felt soft, just like the ones he had felt in the meadow.  Maybe they were enchanted with a spell of some kind.  The thought quickly drifted from Jordan's mind as reality set in.

A sinister darkness was surrounding him.

Jordan's heart began to pound rapidly.  A wave of air rushed over his skin and he suddenly felt cold.  Above him - about twenty feet up -  he could slightly make out the hole that he had fallen through.  The meadow's overgrown grass was covering most of the hole and a very weak beam of light was meekly penetrating into the darkness.

"HELP!" yelled Jordan. 

After a minute of yelling profusely, he gave up.  It was pointless; he was audible to no one.  Everything in the darkness fell to silence. 

Jordan suddenly felt very lonely.  He was usually okay with being alone - he was a lone wolf by heart - but this loneliness frightened him.  He took a seat on the soft grass as his eyes began to water.  He had fallen into a deep hole and saw no path to freedom.  He was a hostage, a young soldier locked away and held captive in an underground dungeon.

Jordan thought about what would become of him as he wiped the tears from his eyes.  He was scared; mini-monsters could be living here.  Jordan shivered as he felt another wave of air rush over his skin. 

"That's strange," he thought.  Jordan looked up at the hole again; it was still covered by grass.  So where was the wind coming from?  Jordan thought about this for a second when it occured to him that...

There must be another opening somewhere!

Jordan sprang to his feet.  A wave of hope began coursing through his body.  He waited patiently for the next rush of air.  After a few seconds it came and tickled him.

Brr.  It felt cold.

The wind had playfully poked Jordan on the left side of his body.  He turned to the left and began to carefully march forward.  Jordan stopped after a few steps to concentrate on the breeze again.  Maybe - with fingers crossed - the wind will lead him to a way out.  It was worth the try.

Jordan blindly and cautiously navigated through the darkness using the direction of the breeze.  After a few steps he could no longer feel the soft, dead grass beneath his feet.  He kept his arms extended in front of him in fear of bumping his head into something, but there was nothing there to feel.  It was as if the only thing that existed here were darkness.

Jordan wished this empty feeling would disappear.

It was strange, but he swore that he could hear the wind whispering in his ear.  It was speaking to him and saying, "Follow me.  I know the way out."  Jordan wondered that maybe it was common for people to fall into this dark hole.  Maybe the wind was enchanted to help lead the estray back into the light.

The determined boy continued to stumble through the dark for what seemed like hours.  Jordan was now feeling increasingly thirsty, and he was beginning to hallucinate about white dancing doves ahead of him.  The dreadful darkness felt everlasting, but Jordan continued to hope that freedom was waiting to embrace him just around the corner.

Wait!  Was that light far-off in the distance?

Jordan began sprinting toward it.  He thought he had been hallucinating.  Was this it?  Was he finally going to escape the darkness?  The source of light was inching closer and closer until finally...

Jordan broke through a small opening on a hillside and stood there, panting and out of breath.  He was standing in another meadow.  The sunlight was majestically beaming down from the sky above and Jordan could feel its warmth on his face once again.  He felt the cool, relaxing breeze lightly touch his skin as it spoke to him one last time.

"Congratulations, you're free."

Jordan broke into a sprint; it was a sprint of happiness.
He couldn't wait to get back home. 


---



I hope you guys enjoyed the story. 
It was inspired by my fall to promiscuity and my escape from it.

Playful way of depicting the promiscuous person I saw in myself
Original photo taken on April 4, 2011 

A year and a half ago I became a promiscuous person.

Just like Jordan Bites, I had wandered off.  I had fallen into a deep hole and couldn't see a way out.  The sunlight - my hope - barely reached into that hole.  I was lost, but my heart (in the story, the wind) showed me that there was a way out.   Looking back now, I'm glad I decided to fight for a way out of the darkness just like the way Jordan Bites did in the story.  

Now I feel as if I am joyously sprinting away from the darkness.

Most importantly, I hope you guys enjoyed the story.  I thought of the name "Jordan Bites" one day and thought it would be neat to use it in some sort of children's story.  Making up the first Jordan Bites adventure was fun and the story turned out better than I thought it would.  I look forward to sharing another Jordan Bites story with you guys in the future.



Current blog views: 3,394
Current followers:  91

17 comments:

Pat said...

We all make mistakes. We are human. But being able to recognize our mistakes and correct them? That's an accomplishment! I wish you well in your endeavors!

JJ Roa Rodriguez said...

Growing up, I am always looking for the ideal person. But as I am curiously experimenting and trying things, I committed some errors and faults. Things that I cannot be proud of but its my desire and whatni did to pull myself up that I am proud of. Now I learned not to find the ideal one, they don't exist anyway. LOL!

Having somebody with me, either a friend or special one, I don't mind the past, not that I don't care but what I want to see is what is the person doing to make his/her life better.

Nice story...

JJRod'z

Anonymous said...

what an amazing story....you have once again left me in awe my friend :)

^travis said...

awesome piece of work, justy.

and I love the fact that you included an explanation at the end.

i hope to read more adventures of Jordan Bites.

Nate said...

touching story.. and i sooo love the drawing.. really nice.. :D

the island guy said...

@ Pat
Thanks Pat. I'm really starting to move past this dark-cloud this blog is helping me to do that.

@ Jj Rodriguez
Yeah, it's not enought to just say you're better. You have to go out into the world and let your actions show that you are a changed person.

@ David Allen Waters
oh gosh, you're making me blush :)

@ ^travis
I thought it needed explaining at the end because everyone would comment me and say "What inspired you to write this story?" and stuff like that haha

@ Nate
The first person to mention my drawing :)
Thanks, I like the way it turned out too. Colored pencil is my favorite medium.

Nate said...

@islandguy: coz its really a nice drawing.. i think it's cute..

RayMan said...

I am Medicare eligible.

Knowing only that, if I ever decided to write about myself; I would title the manuscript: "The Miraculous Misadventures Of Muffintop Manboobs".

Kinda completes the picture, doesn't it?

You have quite an imagination. Like your writing, your artwork is spectacular - :)

Sean said...

love the story, the underlying journey that the metaphor represents, and the artwork. your writing evokes very vivid images. look forward to more jordan bites stories :)

Unknown said...

I throughly enjoyed this story! I think the most important thing is finding our way from the darkness to the light...WELL DONE!

Anonymous said...

I figured this was metaphorical, but I must admit I didn't make the connection until you revealed it at the end. Excellent story. Well written! And it certainly makes your point.

Peace <3
Jay

Rebecca said...

love love love the story you simply amaze me with your writing.

Chet said...

What a story and told so well, I enjoyed reading this tale.

the island guy said...

My monster blog is getting full from all the comments *wink wink*

@ FOGGY
Muffintop Manboobs! Haha, I'd like to know where that came from. Did you make that up yourself? I actually like it :)

@ Sean
Why thank you pal! I'll post one sooner or later. Just waiting for the lumination of a bright idea hehe

@ thegayte-keeper
Thanks. Yes, I love stories where people overcome adversity and come out a better person afterwards

@ Jay M.
Your comments always make me smile Jay :)

@ becca
I just try my best and I have fun doing it.

@ Chet
Glad you enjoyed reading it Chet. I enjoy reading it too.

Writer said...

island guy, it was a very, very good story. I greatly enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing.

I've been down a similar well, though sometimes I wonder if I'm still in the semi-dark sometimes.

As for your picture at the end, you are quite handsome with or without the crown and filigree of leaves.

I look forward to reading more about you and Jordan Bites. :)

Justin said...

the thing about this great story is that one can tell how it comes from deep within your heart ...

hope to read more about your reflection of life through Jordan Bites :)

naturgesetz said...

I decided to look at some of your older posts after I read the one for Super Sunday. Of course, this and the one about promiscuity take on more meaning now that you've posted the one about prostitution.

I'm so happy for you that you were able to follow that wind and the voice of your heart.